Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago - Thursday 21 November 2019
Senator the Honourable Jennifer Baptiste-Primus, Minister of Labour and Small Enterprise Development, presented letters of appointment to Members of the Board of the Occupational Safety and Health Authority and Agency on Friday 15th November, 2019 at the Ministry’s Head Office.The Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Authority was established in accordance with the Occupational Safety and Health Act, Chapter 88:08.
Minister Baptiste-Primus expressed her heartfelt gratitude to the reappointed Chairman, Dr. Victor Coombs and all the returning members of the Board for their support and efforts during the last term. The Minister also stated that she looked forward to their continued work, alongside the newly installed members over the next three (3) years as she highlighted some of the key achievements fulfilled previously. Minister Baptiste-Primus extended her support and that of the Ministry as the Board seeks to enhance (OSH) standards among establishments within Trinidad and Tobago and urged the Board Members to exercise particular attention to that part of the Act which states ‘to assist and encourage persons concerned with matters relevant to any of the general purposes of this Act to further those purposes’.
The (OSH) Authority in compliance with the (OSH) Act 2006, was established to perform the following functions: -
- to make such arrangements as it considers appropriate for the carrying out of research, that publication of the results of research and the provision of training and information in the connection with those purposes, and to encourage research and the provision of training and information in that connection by others;
- to make such arrangements as it considers appropriate for securing that government departments, employers, employees, organisations representing employers and employees respectively, and other persons concerned with matters relevant to any of those purposes are provided with an information and advisory service and are kept informed of, and adequately advised on, such matters;
- to perform such acts and functions in accordance with law to enforce the provisions of this Act;
- to submit from time to time to the Minister such proposals as the Authority considers appropriate for the making of Regulations under this Act; and
- to advise the Minister on the organisational structure, staff requirements and operations for the proper and efficient functioning of the Agency.
- END -
|Caption: Senator the Honourable Jennifer Baptiste-Primus is flanked by Ms. Natalie Willis, Permanent Secretary (Ag.) and Dr. Victor Coombs (Chairperson). Also in the Front Row, Left to Right: Mr. Farzan Ali, Ms. Hannah Wei-Muddeen, (Deputy Chairperson) and Ms. Pettal John-Beerens, Executive Director (Ag.) OSHA.
Back Row L-R: Mr. Derek Luk Pat, Mr. Christopher Alcazar, Mr. Kendal Dolly, Mr. Ceron Richards, Mr. Ashton Cunningham, Ms. Jenell Partap, Mr. Roger Camacho, Mr. Jason Maitland, Dr. Mutchinson Melville, Mr. Farouk Mohammed and Mr. Brian Patrick.
Missing: Ms. Carolyn Sancho, Dr. Wayne Ramgoolam, Ms. Jacqueline Burgess