Trade Union Development falls under the remit of the Trade Unions Division of the Ministry of Labour and Small Enterprise Development. This Division operates under the Trade Unions Act, Chapter 88:02, which came into effect on July 1st, 1933. Records indicate that the earliest registration of a Trade Union was in 1935. This Division deals specifically with the provision of services to Trade Unions. In accordance with the Trade Unions Act, Chapter 88:02, the Division has the responsibility for the following:
- To assist persons in the formation of a Trade Union/Association
- To assist Trade Unions and Associations with the interpretation of the laws that pertain to the Trade Unions Act
- Registration of new trade unions\associations
- Registration of partial alteration of rules
- Registration of completed alteration of rules
- Registration of amalgamation
- Registration of change of name
- Registration of change of registered office
- Registration of dissolution
- Cancellation of registration of trade unions\associations
- Provision of advice to Trade Unions on interpretation and adherence to the laws and regulations of the Trade Union Act, Chapter 88:02 in relation to efficient operation of the Unions/Associations
- Provision of advice or assistance to members of Trade Unions/Associations who call or visit our offices in search of resolution of various issues
- Ensuring accountability
- Appointment of Auditors to audit accounts and Financial records of Trade Unions.
- Visiting Trade Unions/Associations to verify financial record-keeping and providing advice and assistance to ensure compliance with the Act
- Ensuring that Annual Returns and Audited Financial Statements are submitted to the Registrar before 1st June of each year
- Verification of Annual Returns and Financial Statements submitted by Trade Unions/Associations.
Proper accountability for workers/members funds are essential, as a Union/ Association must be properly registered in order to represent workers at the Ministry of Labour and Small Enterprise Development and Industrial Court. The Trade Union Division therefore also plays a critical role in the provision of advice and support to all Trade Unions and Associations.
50-54 Duke Street,
PORT OF SPAIN
299-0300 ext. 2002 | 2003 | 2039