The Work Permit Advisory Committee (WPAC) of the Ministry of National Security was established to ensure transparency, equity and informed decision making on the issue of work permits. The Committee is responsible for analysing work permit applications and making recommendations for consideration of the Honourable Minister with responsibility for work permits.
The Chief Manpower Officer sits on that Committee and contributes to decisions made, guided by investigations and reports from manpower officers and the Work Permit Support staff.
The key objectives are to ensure that T&T Nationals are not denied employment opportunities because of expatriate employment and the need for foreign skills are being reasonably met.
The Work Permit Support Staff are charged with the following responsibilities:
- Maintaining a database of applications of nationals in response to advertisements seeking to recruit expats.
- Recommending training for employees working under contracted foreigners (understudies).
- Conducting investigations to gather information pertinent to work permit applications.
- Reporting on investigations conducted.
- Screening supporting documents from applicants based on guidelines provided by the Ministry of National Security.